Ezra's Lullaby

Sweet little baby

Rest in His arms

Sweet little baby

Safe from all harm

Sweet, precious baby

Close your sweet eyes

My sweet little baby

Let Jesus sing you, sweet lullabies


As some of you may know, I am also musical and have written, and sometimes recorded, a few songs here and there. After Ezra was born, the thought entered my head that I wanted to write a song for him. And as I tried, I found there were simply not enough words.

There are no where near enough words to convey to reckless love I have for him.

The insanely deep longing I have for him

The ache my arms and my heart feel when I long to hold him.

How could I possible put all of that into just one song?

As mother, I don't know if I can. Maybe one day.

Then someone gave me the idea of just writing Ezra a lullaby. Something simple. Something that I could sing for him each night. Something we could sing to Levi, and the future children we may have, each night. God was so gracious to me and He gave me these words.

I think Levi knows somehow that this song is for Ezra. When we sing it to him at night, he always quiets down and cuddles up on me, with his head on my shoulder.

I have cried many times on these nights, while I hold one son and sing a song for the other.

It is a sweet mix of thankfulness and sorrow.

Deep calls out to deep, Lord. Hear my heart, and bring it into yours. Hold my Ezra, while I hold Levi.

I love them both so deeply, and a mother's heart can't help but feel thankful to have been given two precious boys to love and hold in my heart.

And one day, I will get to hold both of them together...

and sing them this lullaby.

Comments

  1. Indeed you will Emma. What a beautiful lullaby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma, I'm a friend of Toni's. What a beautiful blog you have created in the midst of your deep grief. I know that your family mourns with you during this dark time. My prayers go out to all of you.

    Recently, the moms group at my church made a donation of the following book to area hospitals. I haven't read it, but perhaps it will speak to your heart.

    http://www.amazon.com/Still-Collection-Artwork-Writings-Grieving/dp/1609115864/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360279010&sr=1-9&keywords=still

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Christie. And thank you for your prayers.

      Delete
  3. That is so sweet! I am not musically talented but I do sing Micah to sleep with the same set of songs each night. And I sang those same songs to Evie as she died. It may seem strange but I love the special memories those songs now hold - comforting my sweet girl as she slipped into eternity. And when I sing them to Micah still I think of Evie and somehow feel connected to her. I am so glad you wrote a song for sweet little Ezra. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful image of you singing your sweet Evie into eternity. Those songs will forver be laced with her. I'm so thankful you have a way to connect to her each time you put micah to bed. This may sounds silly, but when i was reading a book to Levi yesterday, we prayed that God might let Ezra listen too. I have no idea if God would do something like that for us, but He sure is powerful enough to do so. I think he is glorified when we give him that reverence, and don't box Him into what we think He will and will not do. I don't know...I could also just be a crazy grieving women, but it helped me feel connected to Ezra and I am thankful for that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts