How firm a foundaton



Today, I am in desperate need of the reminder that, as saints of the Lord, we have many promises God has given us. We have a firm foundation.
I want to type out each line of the hymn "How Firm a Foundation", and let every word touch me. I feel as though I have never needed to hear each word more. This hymn provides such a powerful display of God's promises, that I cannot deny it's truth.

And right now, I need to read something that I cannot deny.

How Firm a Foundation

How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in his excellent word!
What more can He say than to you He hath said-
To you who for refuge to Jesus have fled.

"Fear not, I am with thee, oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God, and will still give thee aid;
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand"

"When through the deep waters, I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not overflow;
For I will be with thee, thy trouble to bless,
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress"

"When through fiery trials, thy pathway shall lie,
Thy grace, all-sufficient, shall be thy supply;
The flames shall not harm thee; I only design,
They dross to consume and thy gold to refine."

"That soul that on Jesus doth lean for repose,
I will not, I will not, desert to his foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I will never, no never, no never forsake!"


I think these are perhaps some of the most beautiful and most powerful words outside of scripture.

When I looked up the song, (to be sure I had all of the words right) I discovered what passages of scripture inspired this beautiful hymn.

Isaiah 43:1-5

But now, this is what the Lord says-
He who created you, Oh Jacob
He who formed you, Oh Israel
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name, you are mine.
When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you.
When you pass through the rivers,
They will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
The flames will not set you ablaze.
For, I am the Lord, your God,
The holy one of Israel, your Savior;
I give Egypt for your ransom,
Cush and Seba in your stead.
Since you are precious and honored in my sight,
And because I love you,
I will give men in exchange for you,
And people in exchange for your life.
Do not be afraid, for I am with you;
I will bring your children from the east,
and gather you from the west."

Hebrews 13:5
..., because God has said,
"Never will I leave you,
  never will I forsake you."

How firm a foundation we find in His excellent word!

Lord, let this penetrate my heart, and let me always carry these truths with me.









Comments

  1. Emma, this brings tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing this! I am praying for you- that he will sanctify to you your deepest distress. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear friend. Thank you so much for your prayers.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts